Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Centering a new fram via tone

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Schell's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2003
    Posts
    414
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Centering a new fram via tone

    Haven't we all had similar battles? If the driver is in good shape with a clean concentric gap and the diaphragm is good, centering should be simple, often just popping it on the locating pins. In my limited experience with GPA diaphragms they have had correct tolerances and installed easily.

    Panomaniac I have been through the agony you describe, and from past experience I suspect some undiscovered metallic debris in the gap. These tiny demons can cause what you describe, i.e. every micro movement changes the sound and spectrum and it is all incredibly "touchy." I recommend inspecting the gap with a magnifying glass and a really strong flashlight, and cleaning the gap with sticky tape for another ten minutes even after it appears perfect. Then if the diaphragm still rubs, some tolerance is seriously off. Could be a non-concentric gap or (less likely) an out of round voice coil.

    My final test is to sweep the driver (at very low power, just barely audible) between 100Hz. and 500Hz. It should sound perfectly clean with no funny noises.

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Centering a new fram via tone

    Thanks Steve, very good advice. Nice to hear from someone who has been thru the ordeal.
    I will get in there and clean again. Wish I still had a good source of compressed air.

    The sticky tape is really hard to do - it sticks to the sides!

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member rontec's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 20th, 2009
    Posts
    134
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Centering a new fram via tone

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    Wish I still had a good source of compressed air.

    The sticky tape is really hard to do - it sticks to the sides!
    I've had the same experience with sticky tape! I wasn't sure about using a compressor but that's what I've done in the past. After using tape first then heavy paper I hit it with compressed air. The high pressure air seems to get everything out, but not sure if there is any negatives?

  4. #14
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Centering a new fram via tone

    The tape routine is easier if you fold it (inverted) over a business card or plastic shim stock to stiffen it. I've never used air, out of fear I'll just blow a chunk inside where it will come back later to haunt me.

    In addition to the gap, look over the coil with a magnifier. I once had a thickened spot of coil varnish that rubbed.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Centering a new fram via tone

    Good advice guys. Will do tomorrow. Thanks!

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member Earl K's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    513
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

    Re: Centering a new fram via tone

    Pano,

    How goes your battle in centering up your new 288 diaphragms ?

    Did you contact GPA to ask about obtaining those missing dowels ?


    <> cheers EarlK

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Centering a new fram via tone

    Hey Earl, thanks for asking. Got really busy and didn't follow up.

    I think I made pretty good progress. I put the horn on the floor and pointed the back of the fram up. Just right for working on it. Miked the back of the fram. Seems like it's good.

    Two or 3 things I do want to check.

    1) Run a feeler gauge around the gap to see if it's centered. It may not be.
    2) Measure the thickness of the voice coil to find how much clearance there really is in the gap. Where the lead wires attach to the coil are by far the thickest points.
    3) Stack the new fram to the old one - VC to VC. Are both round?

    BTW, should have time today to send you that spider shim. As well as shipping A.B.'s driver back to him.

  8. #18
    HB Super Moderator
    Centering a new fram via tone


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Centering a new fram via tone

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post

    BTW, should have time today to send you that spider shim. As well as shipping A.B.'s driver back to him.
    Pano, No Hurry if you still need them just let me know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.